I really need to blog more.
I originally got into blogging three years ago because I wanted get past my post-secondary slump. It got me into reading, it helped me make my post-high school friends who I still love to hang out with years later, and it helped me get through…stuff. Even though I mostly did reviews, the writing helped me exorcise the feelings I had in that moment.
I hope to write regularly on this blog which I created to act more as a ME space vs a book centric space. So here is me for the last little bit:
- I got into manga. I realized I should check it out given how big it is in comics (I’ve read at least one in middle school but no more than three and haven’t ventured into again since). I was recommended the Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon series and the first volume became my fave comic in August. Since then I’ve read volume two and took the plunge by buying volume three as well as the first book in the Cardcaptor Sakura series. These two marked the first time I’ve actually OWNED manga which is exciting. I highly recommend going with something familiar if you want to get into manga. I saw both of these mangas in their anime versions.
- My manga reading led into my current Jdrama/Kdrama/K-Pop obsession all thanks to my pal, Angel. I’ve watched Hana Dori Dango* (Japan/based on a manga series), and Skip Beat! (South Korea/based on a manga). I’m currently watching She Was Pretty (South Korea), and Heartbroken Chocolatier (Japan/based on a manga). This has also led to my Japanese variety show viewing (specifically Arashi variety shows) and K-Pop (specifically Super Junior who I’ve written about on WWAC). The storytelling of all of these shows is wonderful especially because it’s different from western storytelling. It’s ignited a fire in me to finally WRITE.
- I went to TIFF (Toronto International Film Festival) but only saw two films this year**.
- Aside from the Super Junior and TIFF recap post, I’ve also participated in a roundtable about TV at film festivals and was Peanutized this month.
- I’ve also started a 90 Day Challenge last week with my brother to help incentivize getting healthier and fit. I’ll keep you all posted on that.
That’s me so far. I’m heading off to New York Comic Con soon which is exciting. I hope to read more in the coming weeks and definitely write more. Till then…
*I’ve also seen Hana Yori Dango Returns (second season) and Hana Yori Dango Final (the movie)!
**I was supposed to see three films but got the screening time wrong for Angry Indian Goddess. This mistake still haunts me 😦